Know the Rules and Regulationss for Operating your OHV in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Off highway vehicles (OHV’s) are allowed on public roads and highways as long as it’s street legal which means it’s equipped with a horn, headlights, brake lights and rear view mirror.  Eye protection is required if you do not have a windshield. Temorary Permits are available at Country Treasurers Offices.  You will need MSO, Driver’s License and physical proof of social security.  

OHV’s must be street legal to operate on public roads and highways. Click here for an Off-Road Vehicle Affidavit which can be picked up at any South Dakota county treasurer’s office. Please fill and submit the following forms to ensure that your OHV is permitted and legal for use here in the State of South Dakota.

Permits for street legal OHV’s & ATV’s

See also the official website for the latest in permit requirements and regulation changes.


With the proper permits, OHV’s are allowed on thousands of miles of trails and roads in many public land areas in the Black Hills. Black Hills National Forest Service trails are open May 15th through December 15th with some seasonal closures.

You need OHV trail permits! You can order permits on-line at Or, you can purchase once you arrive at​​ Black Hills & Badlands Tourism Association Information Center, located at exit 61 off I-90 in Rapid City | Open daily.  In the Northen Hills region, trail permits are available at Steel Wheel Campground, Custer Crossing, Mystic Hills, Whitetail Court, Recreation Springs and Spearfish Canyon Lodge. In the Central & Southern Hills:  Heart of the Hills Exxon, Mountain Meadow, Keystone Country Store and Adventure Rentals in Custer.

Black Hills National Forest OHV permits and rules

The Black Hills National Forest Travel Information map is available to show 4-wheelers, dirt bikes and ATVs where they can and can’t go. The free map lists roads, trails and areas designated for off-road travel as well as restricted areas, seasonal closings and more. The map is available at local Forest Service offices and the Black Hills Visitor Information Center.

The current Motor Vehicle Use Map is available for free on line at Or, call any one of the National Forest Service offices below and they will mail you a copy of the map.

Black Hills National Forest Office

Forest Supervisor’s Office | Hells Canyon Office – Custer
1019 N. 5th Street
Custer, SD 57730 Phone: (605) 673-9200
Fax: (605) 673-9350
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday

Northern Hills Ranger District – Spearfish
2014 N. Main Street
Spearfish, SD 57783
Phone: (605) 642-4622
Fax: (605) 642-4156
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday (Foyer open seven days a week for printed materials)

Mystic Ranger District – Rapid City
8221 South Hwy 16
Rapid City, SD 57702
Phone: (605) 343-1567
Fax: (605) 343-7134
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday

UTV’s must be street legal if riding in a South Dakota State Park, State Park Rules for ATV’s and OHV’s .

The Off-Riders Association is a great source for useful pointers about riding in the Black Hills National Forest.

For OHV Rentals and Travel Packages

Rent Your OHV Here!

Be Save. Be Legal. Have Fun.