Black Hills Caverns & Caves
Discover the beauty below the surface when you take a tour of Black Hills caverns and caves in South Dakota. Discover the mystery and intrigue of stalagmites, stalactites, dogtooth spar crystals, boxwork and frostwork of these natural wonders. Most cave tours are accessible and perfect for all ages and abilities. All caves in the Black Hills are a bit different from each other. If timing allows, consider visiting more than one.
Book online or call one of our local travel experts at 1.866.601.5103.
Know Before You Go:
– Average cave temperature in the area is in the mid 50’s – a long sleeve shirt, jacket or sweatshirt is recommended.
– Cave tours will all have varying degrees of difficulty. Look into each one to see if you’re booking the right one for you and your group. Most caves will include walking up and down stairs with occasional low ceilings. If you or a member in your party has a preexisting health condition, check directly with the cave before scheduling your tour to ensure safety.
– Children are typically not able to be carried on cave tours. Most do not allow backpack carriers for safety concerns, but some will allow front loading carriers for infants and toddlers.
– Wear comfortable low-heeled sturdy shoes. Tennis shoes, sneakers, or hiking boots are typically recommended. Sandals and open toed shoes are not recommended. Cave surfaces may be uneven or slippery at times.
– Most caves do allow pictures to be taken on cave tours. Visitors are often encouraged to use smaller cameras without large camera lenses, bags or tripods.
– Any and all food is typically prohibited on cave tours, including: candy, gum, water bottles and more.
– Most cave tours will not allow guests to carry large bags, purses or backpacks. This includes diaper bags and camera bags.
** As always, check with the cave staff or park ranger directly for any and all questions regarding safety questions, accessibility, and any other additional information you may need prior to your visit. We want everyone to enjoy the beauty of the Black Hills in a safe and responsible way. We love it here… and you will too!
Filter Black Hills Caves
South Dakota’s Great 8
The Black Hills of South Dakota and Yellowstone National Park are bucket list destinations. Together they make for a great American road trip. Explore South Dakota’s Great 8 and Yellowstone with this seven-day trip itinerary.
Native American Culture Tour
Native American culture is rich in the Black Hills. Learn about the heritage of the Great Sioux Nation, as you explore Crazy Horse Memorial®, the Oglala Lakota College, Bear Butte State Park and the Journey Museum.
Spearfish Canyon of Colors
Take in one of the Black Hills’ most colorful locales with this trek through Spearfish Canyon. No matter the time of year, you’ll find beautiful waterfalls, picturesque views, and charming local restaurants and breweries.