Know the Rules and Regs for Operating your OHV Toys in the Black Hills

Off Highway vehicles (OHV) are allowed on thousands of miles of trails and roads in many public land areas in the Black Hills. Before you leave home check out this site:

Black Hills National Forest OHV permits and rules

The Black Hills National Forest Travel Information map is available to show 4-wheelers, dirt bikes and ATVs where they can and can’t go. The free map lists roads, trails and areas designated for off-road travel as well as restricted areas, seasonal closings and more. The map is available at local Forest Service offices and the Black Hills Visitor Information Center.

The current Motor Vehicle Use Map is available for free on line at

Or, call any one of the National Forest Service offices below and they will mail you a copy of the map. Or click on the link above for the on-line version.

If after you arrive and you need permits and maps:

Black Hills National Forest Office

Forest Supervisor's Office | Hells Canyon Office - Custer
1019 N. 5th Street
Custer, SD 57730 Phone: (605) 673-9200
Fax: (605) 673-9350
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday

Northern Hills Ranger District - Spearfish
2014 N. Main Street
Spearfish, SD 57783
Phone: (605) 642-4622
Fax: (605) 642-4156
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday (Foyer open seven days a week for printed materials)

Mystic Ranger District - Rapid City
8221 South Hwy 16
Rapid City, SD 57702
Phone: (605) 343-1567
Fax: (605) 343-7134
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday

Black Hills & Badlands Tourism Association Information Center, located at exit 61 off I-90 in Rapid City | Open daily

If you are going to ride in a South Dakota State Park, State Park Rules for ATV's and OHV's must be observed while riding your OHV.

The Off-Riders Association is a great source for useful pointers about riding in the Black Hills National Forest.

For OHV Rentals and Travel Packages

Rent Your OHV Here!

Be Save. Be Legal. Have Fun.